Saturday, August 25, 2012

Vegetarian Nut Loaf

Wow, wow I've been trying to post this recipe for ages but I couldn't find the piece of paper with my notes on it and I just could not remember one of the ingredients! Finally I spotted them while doing this weeks food shop and I am now able to share this meal!
This is a vegetarian take on the traditional meatloaf. As I've mentioned before our little foodie is not a meat fan and I want to make sure we're not forcing her to eat something she really doesn't want to SO along came this Nut Loaf. I hope you try it and your family loves it! I served with mashed potatoes, carrots, corn, peas and some gravy. We used beef gravy which is obviously not vegetarian friendly but a vegetable gravy would be just as nice! R x


Serves 6

You will need;
Vegetarian Nut Loaf
175g Butter
1 lrg Brown Onion, chopped fine
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
100g Mushrooms, your choice, chopped
100g unsalted Cashew Nuts, crushed
100g Brazil nuts, crushed
225g Brown Breadcrumbs
2 Eggs, beaten
4 tbsp Fresh Cream
Salt & Pepper
1 tsp Dried Thyme
3 tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped (dried can also be used)
1 Lemon, juice & zest


Grease and line a loaf tin. I use silicone cookware for this like this which cuts out the lining. Yes I can be lazy at times :)
Pre heat the oven to 200C / 400F

In a hot pan, cook the onion in half the butter until the onion is soft

To chop the nuts, you can use a food processor or if you don't have one, a Ziploc back and a rolling pin does the job. Also helps to get out any pent up frustration you may have

Pop the nuts into a large bowl with half the breadcrumbs.
Add the onions and any remaining butter
Stir in eggs and cream and season with salt & pepper

Melt the remaining butter in the pan and cook the mushrooms and garlic until soft
Add the zest of the lemon and the juice to the cooked mushrooms

Add the remaining breadcrumbs, thyme, parsley and season with salt & pepper

Back to your tin

Press HALF the nut mix into the bottom of the tin

Top with the mushroom mix, spreading evenly

Add the remaining nut mix and press down well using the back of a spoon

Cover with foil and pop into the oven for 45 mins

After 45 mins, remove the foil and return to the oven for 15 mins to brown

Leave to stand before removing from the tin

No comments:

Post a Comment