Friday, June 22, 2012

Toblerone Cheesecake



Oh yes... What a gem this is. Not if your trying to trim down that's true but this is worth the extra run or zumba class. I'll admit I didn't use a recipe for this. A lot of the time when making desserts I go off the feel/taste as I'm making it. Be sure to taste this as you go to make sure it's as sweet or not to sweet. However you like it. Also beware of the base. If you like a nice hard base you'll want to add enough butter to make your biscuit very wet. Personally I like a very light base that crumbles in your mouth. Especially pleasing with the special base I made.

Personally this turned out to have the perfect balance. It wasn't too sweet but didn't have a strong cheese bite either. In the words of my husband "It's the best cheesecake I've ever tasted" OK technically he swore (Australians what can ya do) but it's rare for him to make such a comment so I was over pleased with myself. I think even if you wouldn't be toblerone's biggest fan, you'd still enjoy this. For presentation I drizzled with chocolate sauce and pipped some whipped cream on top. Hey what's a few more calories right? ;)

So here it is my Toblerone Cheesecake

You will need;

400g cream cheese
2 lrg heaped tbsp mascarpone
100g butter
6 hobnobs (or similar oat based biscuit)
5 rich tea biscuits (or similar plain biscuit)
200g Toblerone
1/4 cup icing sugar

Silicone dish or baking tin with removable base

Grease your dish using a small amount of butter. Make sure and get into the edges of your tin so you don't have a last minute disaster

Pop your biscuits into a Ziploc bag, remove air and seal
Take out your frustration with a rolling pin
Don't go too crazy. You want to keep a good textural base

Melt butter over a hob or in the microwave

Add more of less butter depending on how you like your base. I like it to stick but not to become hard
Mix gently in a bowl

Press gently into the base of your dish

Pop into the fridge


If you have a food processor this is a good time to dust it off.
You want to break up the toblerone. You can also use the good old rolling pin and Ziploc trick
Using a sieve, remove any fine powder that comes off while crushing
Set aside

In a large bowl, whisk the cream cheese until it holds a peak

Add mascarpone and whisk again

Add sugar, whisk again (you get the idea)

This is easiest if you use a hand mixer. You want to get as much air as possible into the mix. You want a very light fluffy mix when you're done.

Now you want to very gently fold in the crushed toblerone. Using your spoon, draw a line down the center of your mix and gently fold a side by turning from underneath. Gently repeat until the toblerone is mixed evenly. Take your time with this because you want to retain as much air as possible.

Gently pop into the dish on top of the biscuit base. Careful to not press the air out

Leave to set in the fridge. I left this for about 5 hours before I gave my husband some when he came in from work. Best left over night if you can.

That does seem like a rather long post but I hope I've remembered my own actions and passed on a few useful tips. Please let me know what you think and contact if you need any help :)

R x

1 comment:

  1. Thankyou so much for posting this recipe! I made it for a family get-together last night and received many compliments, my aunt said it was the best cheesecake she'd ever eaten (and she frequents The Cheesecake Factory.) This cheesecake was a brilliant success, i did change the recipe a tad - i used Scotch Finger biscuits as the base because they were all we had. Congratulations on creating this masterpiece and thanks again!
    Em xoxo

    ReplyDelete