Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Peanut Pie


For this one I'm not going to be strict about amounts. It all depends on personal taste, dish size and who you want to feed.

I use quiche dishes for my base. You could also use mini cake dishes to make individual pies. You can also buy ready made bases from your local supermarket.


Ingredients

4 tbsp peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
1 cup icing sugar
1 sponge base
500ml vanilla custard (ready made or homemade)
1tbsp vanilla extract (If making custard)
200ml fresh cream.


If you will be making your own base you will want to bake it the day before to insure it is well cooled. I suggest making a sweet sponge base such as a Victoria sponge. Ensure you greasy the quiche dish before baking.

In a mixing bowl, add sugar and peanut butter. Using a hand mixer/blender combiner until it has the appearance of breadcrumbs. Sprinkle on top of the fresh sponge.

Next make up the custard according to packet. Remember to add the vanilla extract. Make the custard a little thicker than normal so that it will set quickly. Please note if you use ready made it will not set as well. Pour on top of pie and leave aside to cool.
Pop into the fridge once cooled for at least 2 hours. I like to leave it over night to the layer sets well.

When ready to serve you need to whip that cream! Personally I like to whip it by hand so I burn a few extra calories and don't feel so bad about eating it :)



Like I said the rules of measurement are not strict. It can all vary depending on taste and who you're feeding. This is the basic idea and so far has been a hit with anyone who tasted it. Especially my peanut loving 2 year old!

1 comment:

  1. Im going to have to try this one, it sounds and looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete